Monday, November 15, 2010

Don't assume anything.

Google assumption. Assumptions apply to various subjects from mathematics to religion. I assumed that assuming was a verb, the act of expecting a certain outcome. Yet in the dictionary assuming is an adjective defined as expecting too much; presumptuous; arrogant. I was shocked to find this definition, my whole life I have been misusing this word as well as the act of assuming. One of my downfalls is assuming. I'm oddly caught of guard by people's actions. I have been described as naive and innocent and that's exactly why. I expect people to have the same moral code or do things similar to my expectations or what I am used to. 

My assumptions have caused me great heartache and gotten me in trouble. To my defense, in order to organize information, your mind associates similarities into specific areas. That's why stereotypes are often created naturally. Our own reasoning power is where the power lies. Although stereotypes and assumptions evolve, we need to filter the information. 

The point is, each individual is unique. We all have different experiences and backgrounds. Don't assume anything. Learn and grow from one another. We all have different moral codes and reasons. Define yours and edit accordingly.


We laugh at honor but are surprised to find traitors in our midst. -C.S. Lewis

--smeagers

No comments:

Post a Comment