Friday, November 26, 2010

Would you cut your arm off?

Would you cut your arm off? I just watched the movie 127 hours. I enjoyed the film but questioned my own allegiance to myself to cut my arm off. Logically it was a sound decision. It had to be done. BUT the question is WOULD YOU?

After he does, the protagonist still has to go through the canyon, repel down the rock, drink and bathe in a mold infested pond, walk until he finds others to aid him in his quest for help... I have to confess I'm not the best at give and take. I eat my dessert first and I try to reap the benefits before the blood, sweat and tears. The Dalai Lama said "judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it." Life is greater than an arm. But I can't help but use this logic in other areas of life. For example we are willing to give up a friendship rather than apologize. Whatever situation pops into your head, think about it.

I'm not quite sure if I completely agree with the statement from the Dalai Lama, but it brings insight into one's decision making process. So I challenge you to define success for yourself and see how it matches up to the Dalai Lama's advice. 

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it. --Dalai Lama

--smeagers

No comments:

Post a Comment